Follow us:

Visa and Immigration

For you, International Students

Study permit

Since your purpose to come to Indonesia is for studying, your VITAS (limited stay visa) application will require a study permit from the Ministry of National Education of the Republic of Indonesia in order to issue visa authorization from the Immigration Office in Indonesia. It takes quite a long time to process, often up to two or three months. It is our responsibility as your host institution in Indonesia to help you get the study permit in order to get your visa authorization of your entry to Indonesia. Please contact us to give you assistance in this matter at We will be happy to forward all the information and the procedures to you.

An international student who wishes to study at UINSA is strongly recommended to come to Indonesia with a VITAS, which can then be converted to a KITAS (Limited Stay Permit) upon your arrival to Indonesia. With the visa authorization faxed to your address, you can apply for a VITAS at the Embassy/Consulate of the Republic of Indonesia in your country.


Important: As a student and or researcher in Indonesia with the limited stay visa, your visa requires you to give legally binding commitments as follows:

  1. Being able to give evidence of adequate financial support;
  2. Abide by all Indonesian laws and university regulations;
  3. No use of illegal drugs;
  4. No paid work in Indonesia;
  5. It is prohibited for you to participate in political activities, protest, and public demonstrations
  6. Please give notification of any change of address.

Those who wish to stay in Indonesia for less than 4 months may obtain a Social and Cultural Visa (VKSB) and must also come to the Office of International Affairs to report your arrival and be registered by our office. Our staff will then explain how to extend your Social and Cultural Visa.

First thing to do upon your arrival

Those who come to Indonesia with a VITAS (6/12/24 month’s visa) should be aware of the ‘arrival stamp’ on your passport and white landing card (departure card). Important! The process of getting your KITAS in Indonesia can take up to four weeks. During this time YOU WILL NOT HAVE YOUR PASSPORT and of course you will temporarily not be able to go abroad, open a bank account, or obtain a local driving license. Please remember to have a copy of your passport with you at all times.

Once you have your KITAS and ‘Buku Mutasi’ (a little blue book used to register changes of sponsor/location of the associated office of immigration), it is your responsibility to keep them in a very safe place along with your passport. If you are going to another city/town, please always bring your KITAS with you.

Remember, KITAS and ‘Buku Mutasi’ are very important. If they get lost or stolen you should report immediately to the nearby Police station. If it is lost in Surabya for example, you must report the loss to the nearest Police station in Surabaya and get a Surat Keterangan Kehilangan Barang (SKKB) or lost report.

This SKKB must be brought with you when you come to the Immigration Office in Surabaya to get a replacement card. In this case, you will also need a letter from International Office as your sponsor. So please report your loss also to the International Office to get the letter, they may be able to help you with this matter.

During your stay

The following procedures apply to students who hold a VITAS (Limited Stay Visa), which is valid for at least 6 months.

  1. Extension
  2. Index B-211 Visa (VKSB)

The extension for Index B-211 Visa (VKSB) can be done up to 4 times within the same local immigration office. The first three extensions will be granted by the local Immigration Office governing your place of residence, and the fourth extension will require an approval from Kantor Wilayah Hukum dan HAM (Regional Office of Laws and Human Rights). After getting the approval, the local Immigration Office will proceed with your visa extension.

The following is the documents you need to prepare for extending your Index B-211 Visa (VKSB)

  1. A sponsor letter for visa extension application
  2. Visa Extension form (immigration office form)
  3. Update form (immigration office form)
  4. Surat pernyataan dan jaminan (immigration office form)
  5. A copy of the sponsor ID Card (KTP)
  6. Passport and the copy of Passport
  7. KITAS

You are highly recommended to start processing your KITAS extension 2 months before the expiry date. The following is the documents you need to prepare for extending your KITAS.

  1. A sponsor letter for KITAS Extension Application
  2. KITAS Extension form (immigration office form)
  3. Update form (immigration office form)
  4. A copy of the sponsor ID Card (KTP)
  5. Passport and the copy of Passport
  6. Immigration Report Book /Buku Biru (Buku POA)
  7. KITAS and the copy of KITAS
  8. Photograph 2×3, 3×4, 4X6, @ 3 sheets